“From birth, warm and trusting relationships with familiar adults are important for children to learn and develop”
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework.
A sense of belonging and connectedness within families and communities is important for every person. For children, their relationships with significant adults, including extended family members, family friends, professional carers and leaders in community groups and clubs, can have an enormous impact on their development and wellbeing.
Using appreciation and positive time, you can build connections with the children in your life and be someone they can rely on in addition to their parents.
The top five reasons why Connection Cards® will make a difference:
- Research shows that connection with others is crucial for mental health. Children who have strong connections with a broad support network are happier, more resilient and do better in their lives.
- Studies have found that gratitude and appreciation are key elements of happiness and wellbeing.
- Taking the time to connect with children sends a clear message that they are important to you. It also helps smooth out the relationship bumps that occur through life’s everyday distractions and challenges.
- A positive sense of self increases children’s confidence, motivation and empathy for others.
- Building connections with children when they are young helps us to stay connected as they move into their teenage years and beyond. As children move into adolescence and spread their wings, their relationships with the other adults in their lives become more important than ever.